Resident Information

Kenilworth Utility Forms

The Village of Kenilworth provides and bills for both water and sewer utilities.

If you are a current resident that is moving out of the Village, please fill out the utility stop service form (PDF). If you are a new resident, fill out the utility start service form (PDF). If you are renting a home in Kenilworth, you must fill out the renter agreement form (PDF) along with the utility start service form. 

Coal-Tar Sealants

If you are considering protecting and beautifying your asphalt driveway this season, consider using a substitute to coal-tar-based sealants.  According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), coal-tar sealants are a potent source of polycyclic-aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).  Some PAHs contain cancer-causing properties and the stormwater runoff from a coal-tar sealed driveway is toxic to wildlife.  The routine wear and tear of a coal-tar seal can produce PAH-contaminated dust and particles.  The dust and particles can be breathed in, or ingested, by people living near the pavement and animals. 

Alternatives to coal-tar sealants include asphalt-based sealants and petroleum asphalt-based sealcoat.  For more information on coal-tar, visit the United States Geological Survey at 

Regulations for Construction & Loud Noise Hours

Our Village Code (135.02) prohibits activity that disturbs the peace and quiet in the Village before the hours of 7 a.m. and after 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays absent an emergency. In addition, the restriction includes the holidays of New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. The Village Code authorizes Village Officials to request abatement of activity found to be disturbing the peace and quiet. If the offender fails to comply, a citation may be issued. Please refer to the Village Code for the full text of the public nuisances section.

Vehicle Stickers

Stickers are due to be displayed on your vehicles on July 1st. Vehicle sticker applications are mailed in late May by the Village to all households. You may also download the printable application here

Dog Licenses

Dogs over 4 months old must be licensed. Printable applications can be downloaded and submitted to Village Hall.

A current rabies certificate and veterinarian's name, address and telephone number must be filled in together with the appropriate fee to be processed. The fee for dog licenses is $30 renewable each year. The license runs effective on a calendar year.

Alarm Permits

Alarm permits are required annually. Alarm permit applications are available online.

Voter Registration

Residents may register to vote online by clicking here or at Village Hall during regular hours 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. In order to register, one must be a U.S. citizen, 18 years of age or older before the next election and provide 2 forms of identification (1 must have a current address). Absentee registration forms are available to be picked up at Village Hall approximately 4 weeks prior to a scheduled election.

Miscellaneous Telephone Numbers of Interest

Below is a listing of telephone numbers for other services you may need:
  • Electric Service: ComEd
    Power outages can be reported directly here
    Phone: 800-334-7661
  • Gas: Nicor
    Phone: 888-642-6748
  • Cable: Comcast
  • Telephone: AT&T
    AT&T is only one of the companies in the area providing telephone services.
    Phone: 800-244-4444

Call JULIE Before You Dig

Planning a home improvement job? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or deck? Wait! Here's what you need to know first: whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling JULIE at 811 before each job. Homeowners often make risky assumptions about whether or not they should get their utility lines marked, but every digging job requires a call - even small projects like planting trees and shrubs.

Call JULIE at 811 at least 48 hours or 2 business days prior to digging, tell the operator where you're planning to dig, what type of work you'll be doing, and your affected local utilities companies will be notified about your intent to dig. Within that 48 hours or two business days, they'll send a locator to mark the approximate location of your underground lines, pipes, and cables, so you'll know what's below and be able to dig safely. To learn more, click here.

This is a FREE service and calling 811 before digging is the law.